Saturday, October 30, 2010

And away we go...


At long last, I am returning to the blogging world. True, the posts probably will not have the cultural uniqueness of my study abroad shenanigans but quite frankly, there are too many thoughts in my head and not enough outlets and so, onward!  At the risk of sounding prosaic, I just want to set out why on earth my thoughts are now ending up on the interwebs.  A mission statement of sorts. 

In high school and college, I was a thinker - not always a brainiac but definitely one whose specialty was academia.  For awhile, I was driven by grades but I came to understand that it was the act of thinking that really got me going.  Ever since I graduated from college, though, I’m finding that opportunities to just revel in ideas are less prevalent than I expected.  As a teacher, I definitely strategize, plan, organize, manage, etc. but I find I’m not really working the cerebellum like I used to. After a few years without that constant stream of intellectual stimuli, I feel a little worn down.  I recently started to nag my former student, Eduardo, now a freshman in college, to start blogging.  His experiences and stories are so unique and fascinating (not to mention, numerous) that they just need to be captured.  As I worked on him, it occurred to me that I wouldn’t mind the extra mental storage space while we’re at it.

This blog is just my way of taking those passing thoughts that I don’t usually have a chance to share or develop and tacking them up somewhere.  If someone finds them intriguing, perhaps some trippy, metaphysical brain connection will occur.  If not, hey, welcome to the anonymity of the internet age.  So here’s to the glorious indulgence of thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment